Friday, May 15, 2020

Bach - Double Violin Concerto, BWV 1043, II. Largo, ma non tanto

The first time I remember listening to this piece, I was in sixth grade and my brother had just bought (for fun) a bunch of classical music tapes (I remember one of Vivaldi concerti with Jaime Laredo as the soloist) that I really enjoyed while doing homework and reading.



At around that time, I searched YouTube for other Baroque violin concerti and fell in love with the second movement of Bach's D minor Double Violin Concerto, BWV 1043. The original recording I listened to is no longer on YouTube, but I've instead linked two other recordings below: one for those who just want to listen and one for those who would like to see the music animated (you can appreciate it even if you don't play or read music!).

(1) Audio only; this orchestra takes a slower tempo which feels more meditative, and the recording in general is much mellower in tone, which I personally prefer for this movement.
(2) With scrolling animation; this orchestra takes a faster tempo and the recording is crystal clear, and the tone quality is much brighter than the previous recording - a fantastic listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment