Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Messiaen - Quatuor pour la fin du temps

I had added Olivier Messiaen's Quatuor pour la fin du temps ("Quartet for the end of time") to my Watch Later list on YouTube a couple years ago, but I didn't think of actually listening to it until today. While sitting at the riverbank this evening to get some fresh air, the surface of the river churning at the force of the blasting wind, it suddenly felt like time had stopped. This piece came to mind, and I pulled it up back at my apartment. I was immediately struck by the variety of textures, movement tempi, shifting harmonies, and compositional devices. Messiaen doesn't use any fringe techniques or anything of the sort like in Pithoprakta; the conviction of his musical style is far more than enough to stretch the listener's ear. I especially was shocked by the sixth movement, VI. Danse de la fureur, pour les sept trompettes ("Dance of fury, for the seven trumpets") (25:25-31:29). The lopsided time signatures, unpredictable groupings, fiery unisons, and daring harmony all make for a wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment