Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Respighi - Trittico Botticelliano, II. L'adorazione dei Magi

I woke up to Classical MPR (99.5 KSJN) playing Respighi's Trittico Botticelliano ("Botticelli Triptych" or "Three Botticelli Pictures") — what an incredible piece of music! I haven't really listened to much 20th-century or contemporary music, but this is fantastic. I've liked some of Respighi's solo piano works (including Tre preludi sopra melodie gregoriane), and everyone has heard Pini di Roma (GO! look it up if you haven't already heard it) ... but this is so colorful! I'm interested in looking at some of the orchestration and other details up-close later. But, for now, I hope you enjoy just listening (two recordings linked below). I'm specifically highlighting the second movement, II. L'adorazione dei Magi, in this post. I keep falling for the gorgeous woodwind solos, the celesta/harp/piano/triangle sparkliness, and touching string harmonies.

Opening bassoon line of II. L'adorazione dei Magi [click to enlarge]

(1) This first recording's second movement is a bit fast for my taste, but I think this performance has more musical "bite" than the second one below. However, the dynamics in this recording tend on the louder side, even where marked at p or pp by Respighi in the score, reducing the emotional contrast.
(2) This second recording has images of the Botticelli paintings the work is based on. I love the tempo taken here; the softer dynamics are closer to Respighi's markings, but I feel the louder f and ff are not aggressive enough. [According to a posted comment, the first two paintings are flip-flopped.]

No comments:

Post a Comment