Thursday, August 6, 2020

Ešenvalds - Stars

Writing to share this short gem of choral music by Latvian composer Ēriks Ešenvalds entitled Stars. I believe I first listened to this piece sophomore or junior year of high school.

One of the defining features of this piece is the choice instrumentation, which I quite enjoy listening to. The piece opens with the sound of water-tuned glasses and ends with Tibetan singing bowls joining the choir. The high-pitched ring and unique timbre of these instruments really complements the texture of the choir.

The performance above features the choral group Voces8 with SSAATTBB (two per part for soprano, alto, tenor, and bass); the crystalline transparency of their performance is awesome. I hope you enjoy listening!

Stars (lyrics)

Alone in the night
On a dark hill
With pines around me
Spicy and still

And a heaven full of stars
Over my head
White and topaz
And misty red;

Myriads with beating
Hearts of fire
The aeons
Cannot vex or tire;

Up the dome of heaven
Like a great hill
I watch them marching
Stately and still

And I know that I
Am honored to be
Witness
Of so much majesty

Share your thoughts below and share this post as well if you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment