Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Jenkins - Concerto grosso for strings 'Palladio' - I. Allegretto

The first movement, I. Allegretto, of Karl Jenkins's Concerto grosso for strings 'Palladio' is perhaps one of the most well-known pieces of modern classical music (imitating the Classical Period). Jenkins himself wrote a program note (1996), which I will quote from Boosey and Hawkes's website:
Palladio was inspired by the sixteenth-century Italian architect Andrea Palladio, whose work embodies the Renaissance celebration of harmony and order. Two of Palladio's hallmarks are mathematical harmony and architectural elements borrowed from classical antiquity, a philosophy which I feel reflects my own approach to composition. The first movement I adapted and used for the 'Shadows' A Diamond is Forever television commercial for a worldwide campaign. The middle movement I have since rearranged for two female voices and string orchestra, as heard in Cantus Insolitus from my work Songs of Sanctuary.
Hope you enjoy this piece! Share this post and comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment